Re: Autocross Gearing

To: KARRAKE@aol.com, autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Autocross Gearing
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:24:01 -0400
--On Saturday, May 15, 2004 5:21 PM -0400 KARRAKE@aol.com wrote:
> Hello everyone! I just bought an 87/93 Citation and will be autocrossing
> it  in 05. It has a Staffs box with a 10:31. The question I have is what
> gears are  you folks using for 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th? Slip ons or fixed?

I have neither a Staffs nor a 10:31, but in general, you need to be geared
for about 80 mph for the very fastest Solo II courses.  Note that the
Nationals is rarely one of these; you're unlikely to exceed the mid 70's
there.

Then, decide whether you want a 3-gear or a 4-gear setup -- that is, are
you willing to be shifting a lot?  These cars are pretty darn easy and
quick to shift.  If you're willing, set yourself up to be in 4th at many
courses, with a 4th gear topping out at around 80.  If not, pick a third
gear that tops out in the low to mid 70's, which will suffice for all but
the fastest courses.

Then space the lower gears appropriately.

Mark