RE: Ignition Conversion

To: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>,
Subject: RE: Ignition Conversion
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 19:50:14 -0500
At 02:30 PM 3/21/2003 -0600, Patrick Washburn wrote:
>I've heard they are power hungry as well, Alex.  FFU threads suggest that
>the Crane is a good unit, but I really wanted a rev limiter.  I suppose I
>can add one...although I don't know what kind.

FYI,

I have not installed the electronic ignition (Pertronix) mostly since they
are susceptible to failures if you leave the ignition on (or accidently
switch it on). With points the coil might fry but the points will probably
be ok. I figure that checking the points once or twice a season is no big
deal compared to not having to worry about a hard to diagnose failure.

In regard to a rev limiter: I used the MicroDynamics one that Pegasus sells
for years. I mounted on the roll bar padding since it was a nice cool spot
near the coil in my Van Diemen. I changed to an MSD rev limiter when I
decided that I wanted to be able to adjust the rev limiter based on how
"serious" the event was. The MSD was much harder to find a reasonable cool
place to mount near the coil under the bodywork. I also got the MSD rpm
selector switch.

Both are nice smooth cut type of rev limiters as far as I can tell. Both
will allow you to exceed the rpm setting by 100 or 200 rpm if you "hold" a
low gear for a couple of seconds (according to both my old Jones mechanical
tach and my current Stack recording tach).

Dick