RE: Ignition Conversion

To: Alex Chiu <Alex_Chiu@pmc-sierra.com>,
Subject: RE: Ignition Conversion
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:30:41 -0600
I've heard they are power hungry as well, Alex.  FFU threads suggest that
the Crane is a good unit, but I really wanted a rev limiter.  I suppose I
can add one...although I don't know what kind.

I've actually toyed with the thought of mounting a small alternator on my
Swift.  Anyone ever do this?  If I run a curcuit cutout switch, can't I do a
dis-connect while running on course to reduce the parasitic load to only the
friction of the alternator?  Switch back on after the the run...should
provide enough charging to keep the battery in good shape all weekend,
shouldn't it?  What would be the smallest alternator, in physical size, you
could get?  Thoughts on this??
> I've looked at the MSD line but I think the current draw is around 6A
which seems a bit much for the small batteries we run and the amount of
starting we go through with a two driver car per weekend.  Anyone in CM
using an MSD or similar?

> Alex

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets