Re: Newbie Q's

To: autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie Q's
From: The Narbys <narby@centurytel.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:59:25 -0600
Thanks to all who replied to what I am sure is just the first round of my
questions. Since more than one person asked, I am in Louisiana. I had been
running in DP, but CM is a deeper class in this region and division, so I moved.
I look forward to further discussion, and maybe competition, with all of you :-)

Doug Narby

Dick Rasmussen wrote:

> At 05:15 PM 2/27/01 -0600, The Narbys wrote:
> >Hi folks.
> >
> >I joined the list some time ago in anticipation of getting a CM car. Now
> >that I have it (1982 Crossle 50F) I have a few questions, and I am sure
> >more will follow.
> >
> >First, do rod ends require periodic lubrication, and if so how and with
> >what?
>
> Assuming teflon lined rod ends used for suspension parts: not only NO but
> @#$% No! My understanding is that lubrication simply attracts dirt. But
> please check with experts (see below).
>

> >Second, where should I look for a manual for the engine? What do I call
> >the engine if I look for parts locally (Pinto, Ford 1600, Kent, etc)?.
>
> You need Jake Lamont's book: How to build and Maintain Competitive (yet
> legal) FF 1600 engines. Available from a variety of sources.
> >
> >Third what should the timing be set at (rpm and advance)?
>
> See Jake's book.
> >
> >Anyone have broad recommendations about alignment settings and tire
> >pressures? I would like to know some alignment specs in case I ever
> >figure out how to adjust all those rod ends.
>
> For Crossle's, there is a "rumor" that Neil Porter of Runoffs fame (he
> "works on" Keith Nune's two time FF winning Swift) knows an awful lot about
> Crossles:-). http://www.PorterRacing.com  Maybe because his company name
> includes the words "Pacific Crossle":-) There are other folks throughout
> the country.
>
> >From my experience, road race alignments and tire pressures are a very good
> starting point. Fine tune from there. You will need ackermann (at least 100
> %) and maybe a little front toe-out, depending on how much ackermann.
>
> I assume that you have discovered the FF Underground:
> http://server5.ezboard.com/bformulafordunderground
>
> Where in the country are you located?
>
> Dick Rasmussen
> CM 85