Re: Newbie Q's

To: The Narbys <narby@centurytel.net>, autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie Q's
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:43:32 -0500
At 05:15 PM 2/27/01 -0600, The Narbys wrote:
>Hi folks.
>
>I joined the list some time ago in anticipation of getting a CM car. Now
>that I have it (1982 Crossle 50F) I have a few questions, and I am sure
>more will follow.
>
>First, do rod ends require periodic lubrication, and if so how and with
>what?

Assuming teflon lined rod ends used for suspension parts: not only NO but
@#$% No! My understanding is that lubrication simply attracts dirt. But
please check with experts (see below).

>Second, where should I look for a manual for the engine? What do I call
>the engine if I look for parts locally (Pinto, Ford 1600, Kent, etc)?.

You need Jake Lamont's book: How to build and Maintain Competitive (yet
legal) FF 1600 engines. Available from a variety of sources.

>Third what should the timing be set at (rpm and advance)?

See Jake's book.

>Anyone have broad recommendations about alignment settings and tire
>pressures? I would like to know some alignment specs in case I ever
>figure out how to adjust all those rod ends.

For Crossle's, there is a "rumor" that Neil Porter of Runoffs fame (he
"works on" Keith Nune's two time FF winning Swift) knows an awful lot about
Crossles:-). http://www.PorterRacing.com  Maybe because his company name
includes the words "Pacific Crossle":-) There are other folks throughout
the country.

>From my experience, road race alignments and tire pressures are a very good
starting point. Fine tune from there. You will need ackermann (at least 100
%) and maybe a little front toe-out, depending on how much ackermann.

I assume that you have discovered the FF Underground:
http://server5.ezboard.com/bformulafordunderground

Where in the country are you located?

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85