Re: radiators/heatercores

To: tmgreen3@home.com, Autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: radiators/heatercores
From: Hottvr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 20:59:33 EST
In a message dated 1/8/01 7:23:27 PM Pacific Standard Time, tmgreen3@home.com
writes:

<< I am building a project car.. using a 1000cc motorcycle engine... I was
 looking at heater cores on a web site. some of the big truck cores are
 as large as some radiators that i have seen on formula fords. and the
 price is very good compared to having a pair of custom rads made.. has
 anyone ever used heater cores???

 Terry Green
 Royale RP31. >>

I tried to reply to this earlier today. But I think that I wound up sending
it only to Dick
R. and not the whole list. So here it goes again. When I rebuilt the Tiga FF
in 1997
I had a new radiator made at a local radiator shop. When I took the old one
in they
looked at it and said "This is the heater core from 1971-73 GMC school bus".
They ordered a new one and reassembled it using the old framework. It worked
just fine. I called them today and ask them about making me a new one for the
March.
What they said I should use is another heater core with a special frame just
like the Tiga used. The heater cores come in some odd sizes that you normally
wouldn't
see when you think of radiators. The one I'm probably going to use is 24 wide
by
10 inches tall and two inches thick. Its for a Grumman shuttle bus. Its a
foot warmer
that is along the floorboard on the inside of the bus. I ask about the
vibration question and was told that the heater core is subjected to the same
conditions as the radiator of the bus. They said they had built lots of
special application radiators using them and not to fear.

Mike(I hope this works)B. 99cm

///
///  autox-cm@autox.team.net mailing list
///