[Alpines] webber pics

To: mrtebo@shaw.ca
Subject: [Alpines] webber pics
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:34:09 -0800 (PST)
Well I guess since I own some Alpines I could be TonytheAlpine person too. Ive
wanted a set of webbers for my S5 w/OD. I ordered a cam and ported the stock
head but am still stuck w/ the Stromberg carbs- wich are good carbs IF you are
good at getting them set so all four cylinders run the same- I burned a hole
thru number 1 when I bought the car as the PO had told me he adjusted the
carbs.He didnt know the car had OD- why would I think he could adjust the carbs
and tune the engine- My DUH! I knew I should have checked them- to lean. BUT
the car ran great after I installed a new piston- that was driving from Phenoix
to Austin- almost made Austin. Towed the car to my daughters and started
calling Doug and SS for the parts I needed. Then I started home from Austin to
southern IL. I  lost a bearing cap coming from Austin and again I was almost to
my destination. IF I only had not tried to restart the enigine- I was thinking
it fixed itself. Really I turned
 the engine off when the oil pressure started jumping and was lucky that the
rod stayed on the crank while it was under load- it was when I set there- no
signal to call anyone that I decided to restart it to see what the oil pressure
would show. I could have dropped the pan and drove off in a few hours of laying
on the intersate had I known the problem. Even worse I could have fixed the
block- as it just pushed a hole thru the water jacket- it locked up prettyy
quick. The replacement engine still isnt back together- machine shop lost my
ported head- so Im starting over. I have Tiger work to do but Im always looking
for ways to improve the S5. I would apreciate the pics and any information the
list can toss to a guy for investing in the carbs and intake etc. They want a
ton but Im sure the car responds much better. Anyone that gets a chance to have
OD, I loved it- the car ran a ton better than my nicer S5. The speedo cable was
broken when I bought the car
 BUT I passed everything on the interstate from Dallas until I broke down in
Mo- about 5 miles from the Il. state line. I had no dim headlights- talk about
pissed off truck drivers- all nigt long they flashed their light- as luck would
have it the brights worked great and poined to the left. I should have bought a
CB. At least I took tools on the plane to Az. Later on my Tiger I had no tail
lights- I ran a jumper in the trunk and hooked an alligator clip to the
battery- FOUND the problem- a bullet connector under the steering wheel part of
the car- wiggle the wires and the tail lights come back on. Love Lucas. Are
they on the stock market? LOL
Thanks
TonytheTiger
PS- Thanks to Jim Ellis for his cam advice and the porting instructions he
sent. JIM, I know you are behaing. LOL