Re: [Alpines] 435 HP 911 Porsche naturally aspirated six-cylinder

To: <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>, "Wiencek,Thomas" <wiencek@anl.gov>,
Subject: Re: [Alpines] 435 HP 911 Porsche naturally aspirated six-cylinder
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:29:04 -0800
Jarred et al,
Attached is a scan from page 120 of the June, 1999 issue of EXCELLENCE
magazine. This is the ad for supercharging the 911 engine. The ad speaks for
itself. I have no idea if they are still produced, etc, since I've been away
from Porsches for ten years now..

I think of supercharging as 'forcing' the fuel/air mixture into the combustion
chamber rather than 'improving' the means by which it flows. Just as power is
increased with higher compression, more efficient cam(s) dependant upon the
tuners desire, improved induction and exhaust, etc; turbocharging and
supercharging achieve those results by 'stuffing' the combustion chamber with
more material to burn...

As for achieving tremendous power/engine size ratio's, just look at the 750
horsepower developed in a normally aspirated 2.7 liter formula 1 engine.... Of
course, that's at 19,000rpm: hardly suitable for the daily commute to work..
    Carl