Re: [Alpines] 435 HP 911 Porsche naturally aspirated six-cylinder

To: "Wiencek,Thomas" <wiencek@anl.gov>, Carl McLelland
Subject: Re: [Alpines] 435 HP 911 Porsche naturally aspirated six-cylinder
From: "jarrid_gross@earthlink.net" <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 07:55:41 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
   Tom,
   1.2hp per liter is not such a big thing anymore.
   You  can take a very built rootes 1725 and make close to 100 bhp/liter
   (175hp).
   The new Acura RSX makes a mfgr specified 120 bhp/liter in stock form.
   http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0107scc_acura_rsx_type_s
   /index.html
   There are guys out there building 11k motors in the 150+ bhp/liter.
   Basically  N/A  engines  are  limited  to power output proportional to
   displacement.
   To get higher HP numbers, you need to do one of two things (or both).
   1)  Make  more  torque  at  a given RPM,  which is done typically with
   compression.
   2) Make the same or similar torque, but at higher RPMs.
   Porsche has employed interesting ways to make power, one they were one
   of the first
   to  use  tuned  induction  systems,  the  other is they have very free
   flowing heads and ports.
   When  cammed  to  produce  power  in  the  8000+  RPM  realm,  hitting
   120bh/liter is pretty easy.
   Reliability is the main consideration atbhose power levels.
   Find out the model and year, or at least the displacement and I'll see
   if I cant find you
   some data on the engine.
   Jarrid