Re: Starting / Grounding problems

To: piperbill@isp01.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting / Grounding problems
From: "Vladimir Broz" <svalpine@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:15:33 -0400
Bill, I had the same symptoms when I first got my SV three years ago.  One
of the listers suggested that it was due to a worn ring gear on the
flywheel, and, that all I had to do when the solenoid only "clicked" was to
put it into 4th gear and rock the car.  This worked everytime.  Apparently,
the rocking was just enough to jostle the starter gear off the head of the
worn rig gear cog and allow it to engage.
Permanent solution is to remove the tranny and flywheel, remove the ring
gear and either flip it or install a new ring gear.  I flipped mine and it
has worked flawlessly for 6k miles.

All the best,
Vlad
1966 SV 395005683 LRXOD
Ramsey, New Jersey

>From: "SSV" <piperbill@isp01.net>
>To: "alpines" <alpines@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Starting / Grounding problems
>Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:44:37 -0700
>
>The story was that I couldn't get more than a click from the solenoid and
>my
>SV wouldn't start.  A few posters suggested a grounding problem and when I
>mentioned that I had a loose strap dangling from the transmission area,
>that
>seemed to pinpoint it.
>
>Well, I attached the grounding strap exactly as it is on my parts car, but
>to no avail.  Figuring this must be one of those "duh" situations, I
>decided
>to trace every thing from the battery to the starter.  I replaced the
>battery cables, checked out the battery (full charge, perfect shape), and
>check all the nuts on the solenoid.  Finally, I reached to the positive
>lead
>of the starter that I had checked several times already and discovered that
>although the outer nut was good and tight against the cable spade, the lock
>nut (closest to the starter) was actually loose (the "duh" part).
>
>After tightening that, and reconnecting the battery, I actually got the
>starter cranking like gangbusters.  But since it hadn't been running for
>several months, I couldn't get it to fire up and had to leave for a few
>hours.  When I got back, I decided to try and start it again.  "Click."
>
>I guess I'll go through the whole wiring sequence again, and play with the
>ignition switch wiring as well, but this has been a very frustrating
>experience.  I hope it's something stupidly simple again...  maybe tomorrow
>or the weekend....
>
>Bill

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage.