Starting / Grounding problems

To: "alpines" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting / Grounding problems
From: "SSV" <piperbill@isp01.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:44:37 -0700
The story was that I couldn't get more than a click from the solenoid and my
SV wouldn't start.  A few posters suggested a grounding problem and when I
mentioned that I had a loose strap dangling from the transmission area, that
seemed to pinpoint it.

Well, I attached the grounding strap exactly as it is on my parts car, but
to no avail.  Figuring this must be one of those "duh" situations, I decided
to trace every thing from the battery to the starter.  I replaced the
battery cables, checked out the battery (full charge, perfect shape), and
check all the nuts on the solenoid.  Finally, I reached to the positive lead
of the starter that I had checked several times already and discovered that
although the outer nut was good and tight against the cable spade, the lock
nut (closest to the starter) was actually loose (the "duh" part).

After tightening that, and reconnecting the battery, I actually got the
starter cranking like gangbusters.  But since it hadn't been running for
several months, I couldn't get it to fire up and had to leave for a few
hours.  When I got back, I decided to try and start it again.  "Click."

I guess I'll go through the whole wiring sequence again, and play with the
ignition switch wiring as well, but this has been a very frustrating
experience.  I hope it's something stupidly simple again...  maybe tomorrow
or the weekend....

Bill