Update: 1966 Alpine advice

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Update: 1966 Alpine advice
From: Steve Kirks <srk@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:10:09 -0500
All:

Thanks so much for the outpouring of advice.  I went by the car this
afternoon and got a good look at it.  Executive summary: $500 car,
maybe $1000

First and foremost, the floorpan is rusted through in the driver and
passenger footwells.  The *entire* underbody shows at least some
surface rust.  On the contrary, the panels are in good shape and seem
to only show surface rust. No "bondo" tests were done.  I had told the
current owner that I would do a "once over" today, and if still
interested, do a through inspection later.

Here's some info on the car:

B395000766 LRX
Paint Code 100 (Medeterrian Blue)

SAL# 600676
39,000-ish original miles
Second owner

Car was the correct color (decent paint but bubbly) and had been
resprayed the correct color.  Interior was nearly a total loss: battery
box rusted, seats serviceable, dash trimmings mostly gone.  Correct
steering wheel, gauges, shifter knob.  Convertible top shrunk.

Wire wheels fitted, including spare, showing wear around hubs.  Great
tire condition, probably owing to the fact it's been barely driven in
the last 10 years.  Doors open and close solidly and seem to fit
correctly without odd gaps.

Engine rebuilt twice (verified with receipts) by reputable mechanic
familiar with Alpines.  Correct engine for car (serial #s matched).
Owner says it will run, but carbs need balanced and tuning (probably
rebuilding too).  Engine area shows some rust, but seems to be mainly
surface, due to lack of care.

I did the 5 minute walk around, carrying printed sheets from my handy
website research.  I didn't ask him to start it since a) the floors
were rusted through and b) $6500 was a crock.

I'm going to offer him $500 on Monday next week, cash.

Anyone else want to throw their 2 cents worth in before I do?  I figure
this car is a total rebuild, especially with the rust and the
questionable engine.

Regards,

Steve Kirks