Re: Alpine Series IVa

To: "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>, <Recordms@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Alpine Series IVa
From: "Jon A." <humbersnipe@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 22:14:37 -0600
Minor "eccentricities", for instance, on my SerV Alpine, B395012436.

I bought her from her original owner, and it wasn't until I started getting
active in TE/AE that I noticed the wiper arms were reversed - they parked in
front of the driver, instead of the passenger. The spindles were in the
correct spot for a LHD car, but it had RHD wiper arms. (Leaving the end of
the driver's side wiper blade hanging off the glass!)

After thoroughly reading the workshop manual about the settings for RHD and
LHD, and setting the wiper motor contact cover accordingly, it STILL parked
on the wrong side. Further examination showed that the contact plate (under
the contact cover) had been riveted to the cover upside-down, making the RHD
setting LHD, and vice-versa. (I "corrected" it at the time, since the wipers
didn't really work well the way they were)

Many years later, as the paint got a little old and faded, I found a spot
where the paint had been touched up - right where a LHD wiper arm would
swing down and hit the cowl when the wipers were turned on for the first
time! My guess is, since everything LOOKED like it was assembled correctly,
the chap on the assembly line just touched up the paint, stuck a pair of RHD
wiper arms on, and sent it out the door.

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA