Alpine Series IVa

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alpine Series IVa
From: Recordms@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:04:01 EST
Russ,
   Since you've mentioned ol' Alpine 94104027, this is
a good chance for me to learn about its puzzling ID plate. This is the only
Alpine I have ever seen with
"Hillman Motor Car Co." on the bottom of the ID plate.
It's a normal Series IVa ID number and the ID plate had
not been removed...since it was attached with the famous
Rootes "teat top" rivet.  My visualization is that
someone on the Sunbeam production line ran out of ID plates and got some from
the Hillman production line.
This then leads me to the questions of:
  Is this a common occurance?
  How many Alpines had Hillman ID plates?