Water Temp Guage

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water Temp Guage
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:36:31 -0800
Although not an "Alpine" question, maybe someone out there can answer my
question since it involves a "Smiths" mechanical water temperature guage.

I ran the engine yesterday in my Lotus 61 formula Ford that I've been
restoring over the last year. The car is equipped with a Smiths mechanical
water temperature guage. The probe is mounted in the frame tube, returning
coolant from the radiator to the engine. The wire (or whatever it's called)
from the probe to the guage is approx. 12" long.

I got the engine hot enough that the coolant was starting to steam and the
frame tube was too hot to hold onto. (I'd guess the tube was 150+/- degrees).
The water temp guage needle was very sluggish coming off the peg, and peaked
about half way between 30 and 50 degrees centegrade.

Is there any way to test if the problem is the guage or probe?

The Dave Bean catalog lists replacement guages but not a replacement probe.
Anyone know where replacement probes are available from, if that's the
culprit?

Thanks in advance, and "Happy Pining"!!
    Carl
        CSRG/HSR-West #247 series 1 Sunbeam Alpine
                                           Lotus 61 formula Ford