Re: SV: [Re: The big question]

To: "Jan Iggbom" <jan.iggbom@swipnet.se>,
Subject: Re: SV: [Re: The big question]
From: Bob Douglas <b_s_d@ureach.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:04:16 -0500
Jan,  Keep me honest and educate us. I was a kid with Swedish
grandparents and cousins which is the only reason a 30+ year
old story on Sweden would even partially stick.   My recall of
the year was based on my remembering reading about it while in
California, where I lived in '65, but then again in '67.  So
if '65 was wrong, I'm guessing it was actually 1967 - is this
right?

As with most any news, the photos making the U.S. papers would
have been the extreme, since pictures of orderly lane changes
would have been ... well ... dull.  To a kid, they fostered a
mental image of Volvos and Saabs tearing up the greenbelts all
over the country, but realize it was probably not a big deal in
most places.  What about the timing - was it late afternoon on
a weekday or some other time?   Just remember thinking if I
were king of Sweden, I would have picked a less busy time for
that sort of thing.

I assume the motives for the change were the economic and
political advantages of aligning with continental Europe.   Was
that not the case?  I didn't mean it to sound like safety was
the reason for the switch, but did not word it very well.   The
safety issue was how to keep the vast majority of drivers on
the center-of-the-road side of the car.

Just curious, when did Volvo and Saab start putting the driver
on the left in their home market cars?

Apologies for any inaccuracies, thanks for clearing them up,
and glad you had a good laugh.

Regards, Bob Douglas

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Jan Iggbom (jan.iggbom@swipnet.se)
wrote:

> Ha, ha,
> I was there because I'm a Swede. It's fun to read your
guesses, how we