Re: 3 questions

To: Bill Mounce <bmounce@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: 3 questions
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 08:06:36 -0800
Bill Mounce wrote:

> I have three questions to do with rebuilding my SV:
>
> ..................... can anyone
> contrast the pressure needed to brake between the S1/2 and S3/4/5?  I am
> concerned my wife will not like the unassisted brakes.

I'm driving a Tiger now but had the booster out for a few months before I
had it re-built. I went with the smaller, early Alpine master cyl.  when the
booster failed. Braking definitely took more effort without the booster and
with the smaller master, although it was tolerable. When I re-installed the
booster, along with keeping the smaller master cyl., my braking is now
better than ever. I think it's the ideal combination. The brakes pull the
car to a stop very definitely, and with no more (and maybe less) effort than
our other car, a 1996 Chevy Blazer.

> Second, my car sat for 15 years or so.  Show of hands:  should I have
> the tanks cleaned and lined?

I haven't had the tanks done yet but every time I change my fuel filter
(every three or four months), I get flakes of paint and rubber out of it,
meaning the factory seal in the tanks is deteriorating. This has happened to
every Alpine and Tiger I've owned through the years so it's just a matter of
time before enough stuff comes out and plugs up your fuel lines if it's not
remedied.

Steve Sage