Re: Aluminum oil pans and GT motors

To: milano164@mediaone.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aluminum oil pans and GT motors
From: MrZAG57@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:13:25 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/2001 8:56:17 AM, milano164@mediaone.net writes:

<< I just started disassembling a GT motor which I came across and noticed
a couple of unusual items.  Perhaps somebody can shed some light on these.

1) The Aluminum oil pan does have a baffle system similar to the steel pan
(which could be better). The oil pan bottom is flat, I always thought the
bottom was angled.

2) There is no crankcase ventilation tube coming out of the side tappet
cover.  How do they ventilate the GT normally?

This is somewhat appealing since on my race motor baffles had to be
welded in to prevent oil splashout... also I have a separate catch bottle
for this tube. >>

Hi Steve,

Both Jarrid and I, and maybe others, use this pan on our race motors. I use
it because it is aluminum and will shed heat quicker. The baffles seem to be
adqeuate as I have ran the hell out of the "Big Motor" and had no issues with
oil pressure loss in the corners.

Eric