Re: Thirsty Radiator

To: Tim Wilkinson <timwilk@magix.com.sg>
Subject: Re: Thirsty Radiator
From: rgibbs@pacbell.net
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:44:05 -0800
Tim Wilkinson wrote:

> I've had a problem develop over the past 2-3 weeks where the main
snip
> I'm not paranoid, what appears to be steam coming from the exhaust when
> the engine is cold.
snip
> Tim
> SIV Singapore

Tim,

Sounds like a blown head gasket to me.  There are water passages that pass
between
the block and the head.  A failure in the head gasket will allow coolant to be
pulled into the engine.  No, you are not paranoid. A blown head gasket can
allow
steam to come out of the exhaust. What happens is water enters the combustion
area
and is vaporized and goes out the exhaust. When the engine is warm or hot your
will
probably not see the presence of water.  When the engine is stopped and cools
the
water vapor condenses in the combustion chamber, if enough condenses on the
spark
plug you could have a tough time starting the engine.  So you will steam when
the
engine is first started.

Check your oil, if may be contaminated with water.  My experience is that when
ater
and oil are mixed if forms something that looked to me like pudding. Check the
oil
dipdstick and the oil filler cap.

Take your radiator cap off, fill the radiator and look for bubbles in the
coolant.
A blown head gasket will usually pump gases into the coolant during the
compression/firing stroke and will suck water in on the intake stroke.  Rev the
engine and look for bubbles or for the coolant to surge.

Or run a compression test.  A single cylinder with a low compression value, or
two
adjacent cylinders with low pressure might also pinpoint the location.

You might be able to get by with a simple head gasket replacement, but maybe
not.
If the head has eroded too much it will be unable to clamp the gasket. I take
it
you are in Singapore? Hopefully you will be able to find local facilities to
handle
this. If you cannot find a used good head then the repair involves TIG welding
the
eroded area with aluminum to build it up, then machining the head flat, and
machining the coolant passage and combustion chamber to their original shape.

In the US, shops which are involved with racing are a good place to locate
someone
who welds up heads.  Might be a place to start where you are.

Don't forget to change your oil after the gasket replacement.

Isn't it fun to old a 30 - 40 year old car?

-Roger