Re: Re: Re: Alpine vs. Talbot

To: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Alpine vs. Talbot
From: jeyerman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:10:47 -0400
Bob,

Owned a 1953 Drophead in 1971.  It was OK then-but the other cars on the road
were American cars of the sixties. They were quite a a bit quicker but probably
had smaller brakes then the ST and their handling was terrible.  Back in the
fifties the ST's were running against other fifties cars plus had drivers like
Stirling Moss (who could probably win an international rally driving a
skateboard!).  No argument, the ST's were GREAT cars for their time-but times
have changed.  It also depends on where you live..... the New Jersey drivers
were rated about the worst in the country by a Trucker's magazine survey (and I
believe them having driven here for 27 years).

For example, I was nearly side swiped by a mini-van on the way to a show in my
Minx this fall-the driver was talking to his passenger and wandered into my
lane-hard stomp on the brakes to avoid him and HE gave me a dirty look!!! I've
had people wave at me and then cut in front of me and stomp on their brakes!!!
I am sorry to say that disk brakes beat drum brakes every time-Consumer Reports
reported at least a 10% improvement in braking distances.

So, yes a ST 90 is a great car but I would not consider one for touring in the
New York/New Jersey area, maybe in more civilized parts of teh country.

Jan

Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca> wrote:
>          Well, I have survived on the roads for the past 38 years with the
drophead coupe and can't remember when I have come close to having to
perform a performance manoeuvre, but I'm sure the 12" finned brake drums
(do the Series cars have drums this large?) will bring me to a pretty
secure stop in time if required. I also drive defensively, not
aggressively. BTW, the steering is 2.5 turns lock to lock which allows for
some precise handling if required. Of course it doesn't handle like a
sports car (they weigh 3,000 lbs, even the MK Alpines) but must they have
had some redeeming engineering features to be able to win or place in, I
believe 5 Alpine Rallies in the early to mid fifties and in the 4 door
sedans, sorry, saloons.

         Try one out sometime, if you can find one. You might just like it.

Later,
Bob