Re: Copper lines

To: pLaske@bigfoot.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Copper lines
From: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:29:27 CDT
>From what I've read in Practical Classics, companies in the UK make brake
and clutch pipes from a copper alloy that they don't use here in the US.
What other metals are in the alloy I don't know. The main reason for that is
in the UK, surface corrosion on a brake pipe is cause for an MOT failure,
and the copper alloy prevents that. Here in the US, the copper pipe we get
is just common rolled copper, and it isn't up to the burst strength OR the
flex life needed for automotive use.

Of course, here in the US, they usually don't CARE if your brake pipes are
rusty - or your doors, fenders, frame, etc.  (Here in Nebraska, there is NO
inspection of ANY kind, neither safety nor smog.)

Jon Arzt