Re: Copper lines

To: Alpine List <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Copper lines
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:07:05 -0700
Patrick wrote:

> I know that copper is a popular replacement line for between the master and
> slave clutch cylinders.  My local British car mechanic said the same thing -
> don't use it.  Any comments on the use of copper for lines other than fuel?

Well, if it is an emergency repair on the brake line, one could slice in
a piece using two unions. However, there is no way the copper can take
the pressure on the bubble flare, only steel can do that. If it was the
American double flare, then it would work. Actually, talking about this
is really a waste of time. If you need a new brake line, just buy the
correct one and be safe.
Jan

PS - Copper is NOT a popular replacement for the clutch hydraulic line.
There is a LOT of vibration there. I have actually had the OEM steel
line fatigue and break open while on the road. Did you notice the
windings that Roots put into the clutch line? That is to act like a
spring in the middle of the line, so the ends don't get worked back and
forth and break. But, even with that, they still fatigue.
--