RE: polyurethane crosstube

To: Christopher Albers <Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu>,
Subject: RE: polyurethane crosstube
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:06:35 -0700
Christopher wrote,

>This is an important issue for 'Piners and I think there may be a
>company that will work with us if we can get a large enough order.  I
>have had a little experience with Energy Suspension here in SoCal.
>It's a name I am sure many of you are familiar with.  They specialize
>in polyurethane suspension products.  They helped me not long ago with
>PU boot covers for my ball joints and tie rod ends.  They had covers
>right off the shelf (but I did have to modify how they mounted, using
>baling wire to hold them on).  I think they'd be more than happy to
>make a run of bushings for us if we could scare up enough support (and
>by that I mean $$), much like Sergio did with the ARP rod bolts.  What
>do you all think?
>
>CNA

Just about any company who makes anything want to be certain that they
make enough money off the product to be worth thier time.
This translates into setup fees, minimum runs and tooling.
All the above increase costs for small runs of product.

I'd have to say I would NOT support fronting money for this type of
develpoment project.

Why,
The shape of the bushings, and materials that could be used, allow
the average mechanic to make thier own, or at the very least, one of
us with a lathe and a few hours, could make a whole bunch.
The bushings are simple cylinders with only 3 dimensional specs,
ID,OD and length.
Materials are wide open too, Rubber, Vinyl, Urathane, Delrin, whatever
will take the load, and not melt due to engine heat rearby.

I am unfortunately lathe challenged, else I would make a whole slew of them.
I did however make my own, using delrin stock, a drill and a grinding wheel.
Thats it.

Jarrid Gross