Re: Speedo Off

To: Brent Kasl <kasl100@navix.net>
Subject: Re: Speedo Off
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:58:51 +1000
Brent

I wouldn't have thought a cable would make any difference, because all it
does is transfer revolutions from the OD speedo offtake to the back of the
speedo - there is no gearing up or down effect.  The problem could either be
the OD pinion or the speedo.  What was the donor car for the OD unit?  The
reason I ask is because ODs from Series 3s have a different number of teeth
on the speedo drive pinion to all other series - because S3s have 3.89 rear
ends.  If you have an S3 OD your S2 speedo would read wrong.  I'm fairly
sure it would read fast (as you have described).  However even that would
not account for all the discrepancy and I suspect you speedo and possibly
your tach is also out.

Hope this helps

Vic Hughes