Re: [6pack] Quick trans question

To: STEVE STERN <machinemd@msn.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Quick trans question
From: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 00:29:16 GMT
Steve---It's possible to overfill the tranny, depending on any tilt going on in
the process. But I see nothing wrong with the way you allowed the tranny fluid
level to drain out any excess you may have put in. Don't know where the
difference came from between what you found and what the Book says the case
should hold. (Unless you also have the OD unit, 3.4 pints)

The breather hole is located at the front of the top cover. Unlike the one on
the differential unit, this one on the tranny is uncovered. It's about a 1/8
inch hole. If you put a certain amount of oil in this case and stand the tranny
on its nose, you see where it comes out! Moving the shifter should push out
air/dirt covering this hole.

Replacing the O-rings on the shifter rods isn't too big a job. Order the three
plugs along with the new O-rings, if you have the press-in plugs. Follow the
Bentley manual, or the Haynes, if this is the one you have.

Dick