[6pack] Brake Booster/carb needles

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Brake Booster/carb needles
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:09:01 -0700 (PDT)
Someone (besides me) asked recently about where to get a brake booster
rebuilt.  I just ordered one from Ted Schumacher at
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/ for $125 plus shipping.  NFI but Ted's
one of the good guys who support our British Car disease. Thanks to Bob
Danielson and the ever racy Bob Lang for their suggestions re Ted..

In a
related matter I previously asked for suggestions re the lurching I had in my
car after an engine rebuild, .20 over pistons, new S2 cam, ported and polished
intake and exhaust and 10/1 compression ratio.  Vance Naverette shggested
that the problem could be related to too much vacum leaking through the
charcoal canister.  I blocked the hose from the carbs/valve cover at the
charcoal canister and the lurching was considerably reduced.  Subsequently I
have recently experienced a mysterious miss in which the engine sometimes dies
when I turn a corner.  Initially I thought it was a fuel supply issue but I
now believe it is related to a major vacum leak from the bad booster coupled
with the fact that I am usually on the brakes
when I begin to turn a corner.
Vance's also came up with a link to a site with an epissal on how to read
spark plugs, an amazingly enlightening article (sorry I don't have the link at
the moment).  This article convinced me that I need slightly richer carb
needles for my new setup which I have ordered from Joe Curto.

Hope I
haven't bored you all with this but I thought I would share the results of the
great suggestions I got from guys on our net.  Thanks to everyone.

Mike
Lunsford, 1970 TR6