Re: [6pack] Lack of symmetry

To: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>, 6pack List
Subject: Re: [6pack] Lack of symmetry
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:02:39 -0700
        Kendall:

        I found that the top bushings in the front suspension are pretty much
worthless when they are made of the stock material. I went to urethane for the
upper control arm bushings - this greatly stabilizes the front alignment. If
your bushings are on their way out, this could give you the symptoms you are
seeing.
        Some other questions to ponder:
         1. Has the car taken a hit to the front end at some point? If so, there
may be little you can do short of replacing the frame.
         2. Have you had the front end professionally aligned? Hard to tell
from the
photos, but you may need to have this done. There are shims in the front end
that are used to get everything aligned, and you may be missing some of the
shims. An alignment will tell you if this is the case.
        Lastly, be advised that it is very, *VERY* easy to get the front
suspension
assembled incorrectly. It looks like your car has been repainted, and I am
guessing that at some point the front suspension was rebuilt. The front
suspension consists of a plethora of "handed" parts. It is exceedingly easy to
put the left hand part on the right side, and vice versa, and yet the
suspension will still go together nicely.
        Assuming that there is no collision damage, I am betting the front
suspension
is misassembled. Check Roger Williams book "How to Restore the
TR4/4A/5/250/6". There are some nice photos that show how easy it is to get
the front suspension buggered during assembly - and how to avoid this
problem.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom