Re: [6pack] exhaust fumes

To: Colin Thom <colinthom@shaw.ca>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] exhaust fumes
From: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:05:25 GMT
Colin---You didn't mention if the rear area of the car is dirtied up after a
drive. Notably the bumper around the tail pipes.
If so, this could be either or an unclean engine, depositing its oil. We must
remember that when these cars were new, such smells were hardly noticeable, if
at all. John W. does bring up the Kammback affect tho, which does pull (road)
dirt into this area. If your engine is pumping out an oily substance, this will
make it stick.

Still, there are a few ways I think will lessen these smells getting into the
cockpit. One would be to keep the top down, which is not always practical.
Another is to keep the seals around the tail lights and trunk lid pulled tight,
and or replaced.
  One more could be to be sure the clamps that hold the rubber hose between the
gas tank and its filler neck tight. (Try twisting the gas cap to see if it's
tight).
Finally, there's the cardboard/vinyl trim piece that's screwed behind the
seats. Not meant to be a seal, but it could help in keeping trunk odors from
finding their way into the cockpit.

Finally #2. Check the many grommets in the firewall that are meant to reduce
the engine bay smells from reaching the cockpit. I have stuffed some with foam
around and between where the cables pass thru. My "nosey" wife has never said
she smells anything here. (I just now asked her)

Dick