Re: [6pack] Gunst Bearing Experiences?

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Gunst Bearing Experiences?
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 22:05:17 -0400
John, thanks, I think I'll do just that.

Do you happen to recall whether you used the top or bottom hole on the
lever to attach the front end of the spring?

I appreciate your help, Tom

my TR6, and I'm a little concerned about the amount of tension specified in
the most recent instructions.

> > The original German instructions, available at the Buckeye Triumphs web
site, specify stretching the spring 15mm to supply pretension. My written
instructions from TRF called for 25mm, but I talked with Dave Swauger
yesterday about a related issue, and he told me TRF now recommends 30mm,
and using the bottom lever arm hole instead of the top, as originally
specified.

> > I'm worried about frying my thrust bearings in short order with that
much preload. 30mm of stretch produces a lot of preload, and using the
bottom lever hole increases the effect at the TOB further. Is it really
necessary?

> > Has anyone out there got some first-hand experience at a lower preload
level? Was the TOB chirping or causing other problems?