[6pack] Gunst Bearing Experiences?

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Gunst Bearing Experiences?
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 15:58:36 -0400
Hello,

I'm installing the external spring for the Gunst throw-out bearing in my TR6,
and I'm a little concerned about the amount of tension specified in the most
recent instructions.

The original German instructions, available at the Buckeye Triumphs web site,
specify stretching the spring 15mm to supply pretension. My written
instructions from TRF called for 25mm, but I talked with Dave Swauger yesterday
about a related issue, and he told me TRF now recommends 30mm, and using the
bottom lever arm hole instead of the top, as originally specified.

I'm worried about frying my thrust bearings in short order with that much
preload. 30mm of stretch produces a lot of preload, and using the bottom lever
hole increases the effect at the TOB further. Is it really necessary?

Has anyone out there got some first-hand experience at a lower preload level?
Was the TOB chirping or causing other problems?

TIA, Tom
CC55483L

All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably
from people who are not fighting.
George Orwell