[6pack] NOT LBC, rivets question

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] NOT LBC, rivets question
From: "Kevin McNelis" <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:07:38 -0600
All aluminum horse trailer.  Hinged rear doors, hinges are held onto trailer
door frame with what appear to be quarter inch pop rivets.  Horse went nuts,
pulled out the rivets.  First, is there any such thing as pop rivets that
large?  The biggest I've seen are 3/16.  Second, trailer frame is 4 * 2 inch
box tubing.  Will it weaken the frame too much if I drill through the
original rivet holes, then through the back side, and reattach the hinges
with bolts?  Third, any suggestions on how to talk my spousal unit into
allowing me to buy a TIG welder so I can just weld the silly hinges back on?

Kevin

L. Kevin McNelis, PhD, CPA

New Mexico State University

505-646-2485