Re: [6pack] Pistons

To: John Cyganowski <janah@att.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Pistons
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:54:11 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, John Cyganowski wrote:

> Engine rebuild time.  What brand pistons did you go with and why?

for a street car, get the best you can afford. Best costs more, period.
get CAST pistons (not forged).

due to industry "consolidation", I have no idea if the Hepolite pistons
are the same thing that they used to be, but 10 years ago, they had a
really great product and the sets were more or less matched, so the piston
weighed in within a few grams of each other which made balancing easy.

If you get cheap pistons, they will likey NOT be matched, and you give up
what you save on the purchase cost on balancing costs... if you balance.

But before you go the ne wpiston route, make sure that you really need
them. I have over 135k miles on my original TR6 pistons! I've done a
light hone and replaced the rings TWICE so far. I do need pistons on the
next rebuild...

But the tr6 engine block seems to be pretty durable - at least that's my
experience. And it _might_ explain why you can still buy a NEW TR6 block
if you need one.

> John Cyg

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489