[6pack] Intermittent Cracking Sound

To: "6 Pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Intermittent Cracking Sound
From: "Stuart Thompson" <stuartt@tlthompson.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:52:34 -0500
Fellow Listers:

I have been getting an intermittent cracking sound coming from the
rear end of my '74 TR6. The differential was rebuilt a few years ago
when I replaced the U-joints.

When the differential was out I discovered a cracked mounting
bracket (forward right) that was welded back but not reinforced.
Visual inspection shows the welded bracket appears to be
holding together.

What would be the most likely cause of a cracking sound? It does
it sometimes when just backing out of the garage or even turning the
corner at 15 mph.

It does not do it all the time. Last weekend I drove it approx 50 miles
and it only made that sound once or twice.

I am hesitant to venture too far from home until I know what's wrong
or about to give out.

I suppose it could be any number of things. My other 74 TR6 with
higher mileage never made this sound.

Regards,

Stuart

http://www.triumphowners.com/1069