Re: [6pack] "Perished" brake lines?

To: Phil Beckman <pbeckman@ameritech.net>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] "Perished" brake lines?
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:45:17 +0000
Phil, over time rubber degrades. It is as if it dries out, shrinks and
hardens. That is perished. You often see the first signs of this on the outer
surface of the hose. If you bend the hose slightly you see cracks in the
surface. If the hose is very far gone the cracks are apparent from a distance.
Eventually the interior rubber breaks down and the hose starts to expand
instead of transferring hydraulic force to the brakes or worst case ruptures
and you lose that circuit, or worse.

Stan