Re: [6pack] fuel pump

To: <rccpl1@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] fuel pump
From: "Robert Liam Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:32:21 -0400
John you did not mention what you have checked so far. Sounds to me if the
pump is new, there is something blocking the flow of gas from the tank.
Often the rubber flex hoses will swell after time and cause restriction.
Start with gas in the line before the pump. Is there a natural gravity flow
of gas? Is there a secondary in line fuel filter immediately after the tank?
If so, is it filled with crap and does it need replacing? Next, with the
pump attached prime the line and check if fuel is reaching the carbs.
Sometimes the diaphragm is not linked correctly.
I once did some fancy line installation, twisted the flex hose close to the
carbs in a pigtail fashion. With the twist I did not realize I restricted
the flow of gas and at high speeds, the float bowls ran out of gasoline.
Scary in a tunnel just outside Pittsburgh on my way back from the Vintage
Grand Prix. Lessons learned here, is keep everything as straight as possible
and make sure all short rubber connecting pieces are new. Hope this helps.