Re: [6pack] Watkins Glen

To: <salva57@optonline.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Watkins Glen
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 21:54:18 -0400
http://www.theglen.com/

It's been awhile but my guess is that it does not really matter as far as
conduct of the campers in the way it used to be a problem, well, unless you
wanted to camp there which I always did 8~D.  My understanding is conduct is
much more strictly enforced (or does someone know that to be false?).  Back
in the day the camping area down at the 'boot' of the Formula 1 circuit
(also adjacent to the infamous and long filled-in 'Bog') was NOT a place for
families.  I recall most family camping was along the main straight and the
turn at the end of it.

If you are speaking to best view, unless you're sitting on a motorhome most
good spectator areas are a short distance from camping areas.  Also, if you
like to camp in the trees than B and C along the back straight is your best
bet although there are some treed areas in D and E.  Section A is pretty
barren of trees.  If you have a motorhome to sit on top of than I would
probably try to get as close to the sweeping turn at the end of the straight
in section F.  E and F are usually reserved camping so call ahead for those
sections.

For all I know the landscape may have changed quite a bit and if someone
knows better please correct me.  The other comment, in case you're not
familiar with that part of New York state, is to bring cold weather
clothing.  It can get downright frigid at night.  There was a July IMSA
event that I attended back around 1980 or so where I got sunburned during
the day with temp in the 90s and that night it went below freezing.

Have a blast.  It's a beautiful and historic track.

Greg
CD6250L
Chapel Hill, NC