Re: [6pack] J-Type Overdrive - Mating the Two Castings

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>, "Corbitt, Michael"
Subject: Re: [6pack] J-Type Overdrive - Mating the Two Castings
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 00:52:30 -0400
Mike,

I just sealed the leak from those two upper studs. When we assembled the OD
it had plastic sleeves for those studs that would get crushed in around the
stud by the nut. They leaked from day one and nothing I tried sealed them.

Two weeks ago we replaced a very loud throw out bearing so it was the
perfect time to also change out the speedo gear on the output shaft and
finally seal those two studs. Once the rear OD cover was removed you could
see that the two upper studs are open to the oil around the OD clutch and
final drive. All the other studs are completely surrounded by the casting.
We used new plastic sleeves liberally coated with The Right Stuff and a
small close fitting flat washer. No more leaks, the new bearing is whisper
quiet, and my speedo is correct for the first time in years! Originally we
used the plastic sleeves, a lock washer, and a nut. Now looking back, I
think the lock washer allowed oil to slip by. Because the engine is very
strong we run the OD at 650 psi rather than the standard 450psi so it shifts
very hard. The two plastic sealing sleeves came from Volvo, part number
1232520.

Rick Patton
75 TR6sci supercharged and fuel injected
rick@pattonmachine.com
http://pattonmachine.com

>snip
> Subject: Re: [6pack] J-Type Overdrive - Mating the Two Castings
>

> Mike, I have not examined this particular assembly but copper washers are
> typically used when bolts or studs are screwed into oil passages.
> An example I
> am familiar with is the rear engine oil seal housing that has one copper
> washer at the top. My guess is that the two upper studs you reference are
> screwed into threaded holes with an oil passage behind and
> without the copper
> washer and probably some additional measures like sealant the
> joint will leak
> more than usual.
>
> Stan
>snip
> I have a question about the J-Type overdrive.  When mating the
> rear and main
> castings, why do Nelson's instructions call for copper washers on the two
> upper studs?  What's the purpose of the copper washers here?  Why the tow
> upper studs and not on all six?  Thanks for any feedback.
>
> Mike
> Corvallis, OR
snip