Re: [6pack] Other 10% ethanol concerns

To: pete_kronberg@yahoo.com (Pete Kronberg)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Other 10% ethanol concerns
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:21:33 -0700
List---I don't think a fuel blend containing 10% ethanol would cause any
particular problems with the TR6. The reduced power from such a blend
would probably reduce mileage, and maybe require  tweaking the carbs to
a richer mixture, IF it is already on the borderline with "pure" gas.
There is a slight benefit with the ethanol because of it's resistance to
detonation. Unless the octane of the fuel was reduced at the refinery,
knowing that the ethanol woul bring it back up again.  Lots of unknowns
here.

I doubt that the TR6 would run with an E85 blend, without major changes
in the carb jetting.

As an aside, when playing around with water-alcohol injection some years
ago, I found what was already known by many...that alcohol would indeed
absorb water, but soon as gas was introduced to the blend, the water
falls out of suspension. Having (too much) water enter the engine only
slows it down, so long as there is enough gas to sustain combustion.

As far as the valve seat erosion with anything other than leaded fuel,
the same checks apply. Measure the valve lash from time to time, to get
comfortable with the rate of recession, (if any). If the lash decreases,
rather than the usual increases from valve train wear, then seat
recession is taking place. If any seat recession in my engine is taking
place, it is at a slower rate than normal lash increase.  I do not worry
about it.

Dick

 From: pete_kronberg@yahoo.com(Pete Kronberg)
Folks,
OK, so unleaded AND 10% ethanol. In addition to carb floats and
diaphragms...should I be concerned w/ stock valve seats and guides?
I remember a debate that raged several years ago about not necessarily
requiring valve seat upgrades for unleaded, but at the time I don't
think the advice was in the context of 10% ethanol formulations.
I'd rather spend the money now, than incur engine damage later.
Thanks,
Pete