RE: [6pack] Rear shelf vertical linoleum-type material

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Rear shelf vertical linoleum-type material
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:07:33 -0800
        Andy:

        Others have weighed in with replacement materials. Let me just
say that I picked up a suitable replacement at my local auto parts
store, adhesive backed asphalt sheets. It is just plain old sound
deadening material and yes you should replace it. It makes a very
pronounced difference in the noise level in the car.
        It can be painted over, so you need not remove it. However, I
removed it on my car when I had it painted, because I wanted maximum
protection from the applied paint. So anything that was between the
metal and paint I removed before sending it off to the bead blaster.
        As to how it can be removed, there are a couple of ways. A
propane torch with a flame spreader and a putty knife will take it off
easily, but be prepared for divorce court when she who must be obeyed
gets a whiff of the fumes. (For some of you this might be a good
thing... but I digress) And don't plan on having any more kids unless
you want the two headed variety.
        An angle grinder with a twisted wire brush takes it off
lickety-split, and hurls it into your clothes, hair, face and every nook
and cranny in the garage within 50 feet. It is a very gratifying use of
power tools, and appeals to the Tim "the tool man" Taylor in all of us
(MORE POWER!!!). Clean up is problematic, however.
        The tamest method to remove it is with a heat gun and a putty
knife. Get it warmed up with the heat gun and it gets very soft and
scrapes up like, well, like putty. Heat guns are $40 at your local
hardware store, and are a useful addition to the tool box, so I highly
recommend one. OK, so it is a bit of a limp wristed solution, but it
saves your marriage, cleanup is a snap, and all the neighbors downwind
will not mutate into creatures of unspeakable horror. A fair tradeoff in
my book.

        Cheers,

        Vance