RE: Was [6pack] Engine Quiz : now front cross brace tube

To: "Ruffner, James A *HS" <JAR7U@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu>
Subject: RE: Was [6pack] Engine Quiz : now front cross brace tube
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:38:37 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Ruffner, James A *HS wrote:

> I'm not so sure that I would trust helicoils for this.  It's been a
> while since I looked, but I believe that you can weld a nut on the top
> of the connection point.

I actually tried that - the stripped nut is almost impossible to get to
inside the shock tower. I'll look again tonite, but I recall having a real
"b-of-a-time" getting a nut to "stick" with the welder, and I also recall
that I wound up micro-welding the bolt to the nut and that's not a desired
outcome. Whatever I do, I have to accomodate getting the motor in/out
without a lot of fuss.

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489