RE: [6pack] Tranny no shiftee too easy

To: "John Summers" <rivers2hills@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Tranny no shiftee too easy
From: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:31:39 -0700
John,

On the body work part of the question, I would suggest that doing the
actual body work without a garage is possible.  I wouldn't strip to bare
metal unless the old paint won't support the new.  A grinding wheel, a
sanding block and patience is all you need for most of the work.  Your
rust areas may require additional attention and skill depending upon the
level and quality of finish you are seeking to achieve.  You can do a
lot with fiberglass and bondo if you are not looking for a more
permanent solution.

For paint, you can go the votech or high school route, or if the color
is not being changed or you do the door jambs, trunk and engine
compartment yourself, a discount paint shop (There is a good chance your
paint will peel in some areas) or a small body shop can do a presentable
job just doing the exterior spray.  I would recommend that you strip the
body of all trim and lights as much as is practical and then trailer the
car to the shop.  I took the windshield frame off one of my old cars,
kept the tail lights on with one nut each side and drove it to a shop
that was relatively close to home. At the shop, I was able to quickly
remove the lights and left it to the painter to mask what was left.  I
had even primed the car with spray can primer.  All done outside without
the benefit of a garage.  When you get it home, you can do the blackout
on the rear valance yourself and have the fun of putting the trim back
on.

Bob Clark
'69 TR6