Re: [6pack] Speedo Woes

To: JHMDDS@aol.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] Speedo Woes
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:47:34 -0700
James---Ideally, the cable should go into the speedo about 3/8 inch.
Some cables have been found to be too long at the end, and can upset the
internals in the speedo. It is not hard to grind off the excess, if you
find it to be too long. (Wrap the end in masking tape to keep it from
fraying)

You should be able to "feel" the square end of the cable drop into the
speedo. Put the tranny into neutral and push the car slightly forward or
back, if neessary.
t's also likely that the cable isn't turning fast enough, but not
significantly so, when viewing with the eye. Unless your speedo was
recalibrated for the 5 speed, it may be reading about 7% too slow. Know
that the cable's square end should turn 11.2 complete revolutions when
covering a premarked strip of pavement, 52 feet 9 inches. (i/100 of a
mile)
using the standard differential gears and diameter rear tires, of
course.

If none of the above solves the problem, it's also possible that the
nylon gear at the speedo drive (at the tranny end) is stripped, or not
meshing properly with its steel counterpart.
Try holding on to the square end, when pushing the car with one foot out
the door.

Easy to check, when the tranny is out of the car.

Dick

James wrote:
I'm having some problems with my speedometer. Hope someone can help.
Soon after having the New Zealand Toyota speed conversion, my speedo
needle began jumping around. Later it stopped working completely.
Thinking the cable was new and not knowing the drill trick, I sent the
speedo off to be repaired. After it came back I put it in and nothing. I
checked the cable and saw that it was not turning. Took out the cable
and it was broken at the sharp bend just outside the drive angle. Thanks
the Herman Van Der Akker, I soon had a new cable and an adaptor to
change the sharp turn into a straight shot.
The repaired speedo goes in and nothing. I checked using the drill trick
and the needle goes up to about 50mph. I checked the cable while driving
and the square end turns. It doesn't turn as fast as I thought it would
but it does turn and turns faster at higher speeds.
I have another speedo that goes up to about 70mph with the drill and it
won't work in the car either. There are still 3-4 threads showing on the
speedo shaft after the cable is fully tightened. I'm afraid either the
cable isn't turning fast enough or the inner cable doesn't go into the
speedo far enough but those are only guesses. Can anyone help?
Regards,
James '75 Tr6