Modern Oil and Old Engines

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Modern Oil and Old Engines
From: Mike Pisani <mpisani099@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:13:38 -0800 (PST)
Listers,
I'm just putting the finishing touches on an engine
tear-down and rebuild, and a friend at work clued me
into a concern about using modern oil with our flat
tappets.  Apparently, in an effort to make today's
cars run leaner and cleaner, some additives that are
essential when breaking in a new cam with flat bottom
tappets have been removed from most of today's motor
oils.  The following link pretty much tells the whole
story, along with some solutions:
http://www.svmgcc.org/tech_tips/oil_is_killing.htm

Have any of you heard about this, or might any of you
had any personal experience with this issue lately?
This seems like a big issue that could affect all our
LBCs.

Mike