RE: studs vs bolts

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: studs vs bolts
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:36:31 -0800
        Oliver:

        Others have already commented on the pros and cons of air
cleaner studs, and even the fact that the air cleaner will not clear
full length studs.
        One thing not mentioned is that the air cleaner bolts are going
into aluminum with the stock configuration. Even though they are coarse
threads, I worry about pulling the threads out of the carb with this
configuration. Eventually the aluminum galls and pop! the bolt pulls
out.
        I suppose that you could put a very short stud into the carb,
and then use an internally threaded spacer with a short bolt epoxied or
brazed onto one end. This would be a kind of "female cap screw" that
could then be used to secure the cleaner so that you could still clear
the inner fender when removing the air cleaner.
        Of course, you could also just helicoil the carb when/if you
pull the threads out. Probably much simpler in the long run, and
simplicity is itself a virtue and therefore is preferred.

        Vance