soft top parts question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: soft top parts question
From: Aledotr6@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:52:03 EST
I am in the process of redoing my soft top and noticed a couple of things I
have not seen mentioned on the list or any instructions.

There was a six inch long foam wedge, about 1 inch thick, down to nothing
(obviously, if it's a wedge) under the Velcro, at the front of the forward most
channel. There was one on both sides. I suspect that is to take up space
between the window and the top seal? Was this part of the original design or
was the
PO using it to compensate for poor adjustments somewhere? If it is supposed
to be there, what is a good substitute. It pretty much disintegrated.

The seal channels were bolted on, not riveted. Was this a factory method in
later years, or was that a PO method? It seems like an OK method, but I have
become a big fan of rivets while working on the TR and will use them, unless
there is a good reason not too.

The webbing retainers were also screwed into the bows instead of riveted.
That too, seemed to work pretty well. I am pretty sure that was never a factory
method, but possible?

Thanks,

Bud Trussell