Re: Fidanza Flywheel

To: Nick Gemas <gln@worldpath.net>
Subject: Re: Fidanza Flywheel
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:58:14 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Nick Gemas wrote:

> Robert & Kai,
>     I bought my ARP Bolts from APT in California and they came with no
> washers. From your post it sounds like I should have. Also does anyone
> recommend using Lok-tite on the bolts? I have read several threads on mostly
> Japanese car forums where Fidanza flywheels worked loose and tore themselves
> up. I notice the TR6 has no locking tabs or washers on the flywheel bolts.
> Any thoughts?

The ARP bolts should have special NAS washers. Period. Then you use the
ARP thread lubricant and install as instructed (you only torque to 45 foot
pounds or so). Assumption - are the bolts that you got 12 point? If so,
those are NAS bolts and you need the washers.

Some folks use Loc-tite red for this job, but you have to set it and you
can't touch it once the loc-tite takes a set. Then when you need to remove
things you MUST use heat.

There's a lot of reasons a flywheel can work loose. Imports with undefined
other engine mods are not a good reference in this instance, as they
probably turn thier motors another 1 -2 k RPMs above ours. If you keep
your revs under the red line, using the ARP bolts, washers, thread lube
and instructions, you should have no problems.

> Thanks Nick

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489