Re: Plastic gearbox cover seal

To: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Plastic gearbox cover seal
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:12:57 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Kendall Larsen wrote:

> Hey List,
>
> Those of you who are using the plastic gearbox cover from TRF, did you order
> and install the seal that comes in their 'kit'? It was really ok when it was
> rotting cardboard... I'm not sure if a seal is really neccessary and will
> possibly just make installation and removal more difficult? On the other hand
> maybe it will help seal drafts and noise? Any opinions out there?

Use the seal. Without it, the oil from the engine and tranny will wick up
under and between the cover and the floorpan and wick into the rug. Of
course this gives your TR6 that unique Triumph smell...

If you use the spaceage plastic cover, when you tighten the bolts down the
cover lip tends to buckle a bit and this leads to leaks or various sorts
into the interior.

So, get the cover, the seal and the hardware kit (bolts and the flat
thingies) and clean the holes in the floorpan "real good" so that you
don't strip the threads... not that I've ever done that!

> Thanks!
>
> Kendall
> 74.5 TR6
> San Clemente, CA

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx