Re: Inner axle shafts

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Inner axle shafts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:07:10 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:

> Cary---I know of no one who has separated these hubs and shafts without
> a press. The bigger, the better! Unless you have access to at least a
> ten ton press, I'd advise taking them to an automotive machine shop to
> have this done, and ask if they have done this type of work before. (The
> cost is nominal) You can later replace the seals and bearings, if you
> wish.

Adding the what Dick says... if you keep trying to use a 3-jaw puller, you
will likely break or bend the flange.

If you bring it to a shop, make sure they have a flat plate to bolt the
flange to (or they are willing to make one).

The issue here is (like the outer axle stubs) that the flange is mated to
the axle stub via a "taper joint" with a keyway. Over time the two parts
really bond together and it can be a real pain to get apart. Be ware that
once you get 'em apart (this is less frequent with the inner axle seal,
BTW), there's a chance that the parts are toast due to cracking, spun
bearings, etc.  -  so you might want to line up potential spare parts
sources...

But if the problem here is that oil is leaking past the seal, and if you
can determine that the seal is still intact, then your problem is really
the venting for the diff... so make sure that the vent is not blocked no
matter what. It's a pretty common oversight when the diff starts leakin...
note not "if", but "when". :-)

> Dick

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx