Inner axle shafts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Inner axle shafts
From: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 20:27:32 -0500
Today I attempted to replace the seals on my differentail (or hypoid
casing).  I removed the axle shafts complete with bearings and flanges from
the differentail.  I removed the nut and the washer from the axle flange.  I
then attempted to use a 3 jaw puller to remove the drive flange from the
axle shaft.  I only succeeding in breaking 3 pullers before I decided to
quit for the day.  My only other thought is to use a hydraulic press to
press out the axle shaft.  Is this normal for the drive flange to be pressed
on this tightly?  Also, is there an easier way to do this other than a
press?  Thank you for all of your help!
Cary Henry
1976 TR6