Re: Inner axle shafts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Inner axle shafts
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 22:41:20 -0800
Cary---I know of no one who has separated these hubs and shafts without
a press. The bigger, the better! Unless you have access to at least a
ten ton press, I'd advise taking them to an automotive machine shop to
have this done, and ask if they have done this type of work before. (The
cost is nominal) You can later replace the seals and bearings, if you
wish.

Dick

From: caryhenry@hotmail.com(Cary Henry)

 Today I attempted to replace the seals on my differentail (or hypoid
casing). I removed the axle shafts complete with bearings and flanges
from the differentail. I removed the nut and the washer from the axle
flange. I then attempted to use a 3 jaw puller to remove the drive
flange from the axle shaft. I only succeeding in breaking 3 pullers
before I decided to quit for the day. My only other thought is to use a
hydraulic press to press out the axle shaft. Is this normal for the
drive flange to be pressed on this tightly? Also, is there an easier way
to do this other than a press? Thank you for all of your help!
Cary Henry
1976 TR6